The history of West Row goes back to the Bronze age and maybe further.
West Row is believed to have been an important Bronze Age site over
3500 years ago, then early farmers occupied timber houses during the
summer months (possibly migrating south during the winter) and may have
made ritual offerings into the river Lark.
In January 1942, farmer Gordon Butcher while ploughing found a major hoard of highly decorated Roman silver tableware from the fourth-century AD. He did not recognize the objects for what they were, and the hoard did not come to the attention of the authorities until 1946.
An inquest was held in the summer of 1967, when the find was declared treasure trove and acquired by the British Museum in London. Today it is known as the Mildenhall Treasure and comprises of tableware, pictorial platters and early Christian baptismal spoons which can be seen in the British Museum, and replicas are on display at the Mildenhall Museum.
West Row lies on the north bank of the navigable River Lark, 2 miles west of the town of Mildenhall, and just south of the large airbase RAF Mildenhall. occupied by the USAF, It is considered part of the Breckland, and sits on the edge of the Fens.
West Row parish was formerly part of Mildenhall parish, on the 1st of April 2019 we became a separate parish.