The history of the village of West Row
West Row is believed to have been an important Bronze Age site over 3500 years ago. Then early farmers occupied timber houses during the summer months (possibly migrating south during the winter) and may have made ritual offerings into the river Lark.
In January 1942, farmer
Gordon Butcher while ploughing, found a major hoard of highly decorated
Roman silver tableware from the fourth-century AD. He did not recognize
the objects for what they were, and the hoard did not come to the
attention of the authorities until 1946.
An inquest was held in the summer of 1967, when the find was declared treasure trove and acquired by the British Museum in London. Today it is known as the Mildenhall Treasure and comprises of tableware, pictorial platters and early Christian baptismal spoons which can be seen in the British Museum, and replicas are on display at the Mildenhall Museum.
West Row lies on the north bank of the navigable River Lark, 2 miles west of the town of Mildenhall, and just south of the large airbase RAF Mildenhall. occupied by the USAF, It is considered part of the Breckland, and sits on the edge of the Fens.
Listed Buildings in West Row
There are 9 Grade II listed buildings within the village of West Row.
You can view details for each building in the list by clicking on each building below.